How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs
Proudly Serving South Carolina | North Carolina | Georgia
Finding bed bugs in your home is many people’s worst nightmare. These pesky insects can hitch a ride on your clothes or luggage from an infested hotel or household and will quickly infest your home. Once they have invaded your home, bed bugs are extremely difficult to get rid of on your own. There are a few things you can do to help lessen a bed bug infestation but using a trusted exterminator is the only way to be sure that an infestation has been completely eliminated.
Start With A Quote On Us
Click below to contact Rocket Pest for a FREE pest control quote.
Preparing for an Exterminator
If you have a bed bug infestation, it is important to call an experienced exterminator immediately. Bed bugs quickly multiply and a small infestation can turn into a much larger one rapidly. After you have called an exterminator, here are a few steps you can take to prepare for bed bug extermination:
- Clean bedding: Remove all bedding and place it in garbage bags to stop the spread of bed bugs. Then wash and dry the bedding on the hottest settings possible. Bed bugs and their eggs will die at 122°F so the heat from a dryer should kill any remaining bed bugs or eggs.
- Vacuum: Make sure to vacuum beds, carpets, and furniture preferably with a vacuum that uses disposable bags. Seal and throw away the bags immediately after vacuuming to trap any eggs or bugs. If you do not have a bagged vacuum cleaner, empty the vacuum canister into a sealed bag and thoroughly clean the canister after each use.
- Move furniture: Move all furniture in rooms that will be treated away from the walls. This will give the exterminators access to common areas where bed bugs like to hide like baseboards and outlets.
- Remove clutter: Make sure to remove items from underneath beds or that are sitting on the floor. This will not only eliminate hiding places for the bed bugs but also allow better access for the exterminators.
- Make arrangements for pets: All pets should be out of the home during the extermination, including fish and reptiles. Ensure all pet food and bowls are put away and launder their bedding as well.
Common Types of Bed Bug Treatments
There are a few ways an exterminator might treat a home for bed bugs. The most common treatment methods are:
- Insecticide: Insecticide treatments are extremely effective at both eliminating bed bugs and preventing them from returning. The exterminator will usually use a combination of different insecticides on various surfaces and areas around your home. They usually use a combination of fast-acting insecticides and long-term preventative insecticides.
- Heat treatment: Bed bugs and their eggs will die in temperatures that exceed 122°F. When using a heat treatment, the exterminator will use specialized heaters to heat rooms to between 135°F and 145°F which will effectively kill all bed bugs and their eggs in a room. While this method quickly kills any bed bugs, it does not prevent them from returning.
- Steam treatment: Since bed bugs will die if exposed to temperatures of 122°F or more, using steam, which is over 200°F, is an effective way to kill bed bugs quickly. The exterminator will use a specialized tool on your beds, furniture, and areas where bed bugs commonly hide, that emits steam, killing the bed bugs and their eggs instantly. Using steam to kill bed bugs is very effective but not always the most practical since items such as electronics can not be treated with steam.
- Fumigation: If a bed bug infestation is severe enough, an exterminator might resort to using fumigation. When using fumigation to eliminate bed bugs, an exterminator will completely cover and seal the home with plastic sheeting. They will then deploy an aerosolized insecticide into the sealed area killing all bed bugs in the home.
Choosing an Exterminator
When dealing with a bed bug exterminator, it is important to choose an extermination company that has the knowledge and experience to eliminate bed bugs from your home and keep them out for good. The professionals at Rocket Pest have over 65 years of experience getting rid of pests and keeping them out of your home. We know that dealing with bed bugs can be frustrating, but our technicians will walk you through the process and make eliminating bed bugs as easy as possible for you and your family. Contact us today for a free quote on our bed bug elimination services.Back to Bed Bug Exterminators